Tuesday, March 31, 2020

A Diary Entry from Lady Elizabeth Marlowe



March 24th

The weather was grey today, as it has been all week. I know it is good practice to write daily in one’s diary but I find I prefer to write lengthier entries every several days. The days grow longer and for that I am thankful; it does cheer one’s soul to have more hours of daylight for walking in the garden and sewing by natural light.

Our musical evening was a splendid affair with many in attendance. The music room was filled with fresh flowers and candlelight, the scent and soft glow of light adding the right ambiance. Miss Arden, the harpist, chose a selection of music most agreeable. Wearing a robe of deep pink with an over skirt of sheer white, she had little glass stones pinned in her hair that twinkled in the candlelight as she played. Her hands were light as a feather on the strings of her harp, calling forth the most sublime sounds. I noticed the men were not whispering amongst themselves as they are wont to do, but all attention to the front of the room where Miss Arden was seated.

We had a short intermission before the soloist was introduced and the comments from the guests were kind and full of appreciation. The conversation was lighthearted and everyone was in a cheery mood as we sat at table. Mrs. Pym surpassed all my expectations creating the most sumptuous repast for my guests. The dishes were as beautiful as they were delicious and I had several compliments which I have passed on to Mrs. Pym producing a rare smile from her. I must remember to send word of thanks to Eva Broome for all her kind help with the cakes and fancies she supplied, she is a gem.

Our soloist, Miss Lettice Callan wore an ethereal gown of pale blue linen with embroidered rosebuds along the hem of her skirt. Her hair was exquisitely arranged with a gold circlet, her face framed by soft curls. I must ask Jenny Wren to learn how to achieve this look as it is most becoming. So graceful, she was one with the music, commanding everyone’s attention. My guests were simply entranced by her voice, just as I was when I first heard her sing in London.

The evening culminated in Miss Callan singing a duet with her dear mama from LaClemnza di Tito: Ah Perdona al primo affetto. Charles had arranged this little treat for me knowing it was among my favourite pieces of music. The two voices together created a harmonious blending of tone that brought tears to more than one in the room.

Madame Callan and her son travelled with Miss Callan to Amberleigh and are quite charming guests. I have asked them to remain for a time. Caroline has graciously asked us to dine with them on Friday afternoon with Joseph giving a tour of the estate beforehand. Having guests to stay is always cheering when the children are away at school. I shall delight in showing Madame Callan, a keen gardener, my rose garden. Tuesday next we have been invited to call upon Admiral and Harriet Endicott In Constance. I do hope the weather will be fine so the travel will not be arduous. I should like to call in on my friend Anne Maxwell while we are there as it has been quite some time since I saw her last.

Jane Meryvale’s letter was filled with the wonders of her trip through Derbyshire, something I would dearly love to do with Charles and the children. Kedleston Hall so far has been a favourite destination. She and her mother are now with her Aunt Catherine in Musford and will continue their tour next week. She mentioned her unpleasant encounter with Clarissa Howells at Mr. Wycliffe's shop. I am sure that woman has the power to vex even the vicar with her veiled insults. She likes nothing better than to discredit anyone with her faint praise causing a sudden lull in any conversation which only draws more attention to her wickedness.

I go now to my garden to cut flowers for the sitting room, the spring blooms are looking particularly lovely just now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annual Summer Fete

Saturday was the day we had all been looking forward to, our fete called us all from our homes very early indeed. The sky was overcast but t...