Thursday, March 18, 2021

A Useful Recipe

 A Word from Mr. Clutterback



As you know I recently had the pleasure of visiting my family in Kent for a week. I have not seen my parents and siblings since coming to Amberleigh to begin my Curacy, making it a happy homecoming. It is always a balm to go back home into the welcoming arms of one’s family.

While I was at home, my dear Mama, also one to practice frugality, shared a recipe she had recently acquired from a neighbour. She was eager that I should have this receipt, as it is for the creation of a necessary item to one’s writing desk that can be quite dear to purchase. This wonder item I speak of is the humble blotting powder we sprinkle upon our letters to dry the ink before sealing our missives.

You will be as surprised as I to find this powder may be made simply from an item you would normally consign to the compost heap. I refer to discarded egg shells. They may successfully be made into dusting powder for your needs, with no cost to yourself, just a few minutes of your time.

To make the powder, take the shells of ten eggs, washing them of all yoke and albumen. Place the shells on a baking tray or a pan taking care they are of a similar size for even baking. Bake the shells for 5 minutes. Do not leave them on the fire overlong or they shall brown, making your powder dark. Once the shells are baked and cooled, put them in the mortar and crush them with the pestle until they create a fine dust. The dust may then be decanted into your shaker and used as a blotting agent for your letters.

Mother also informs me, ladies, this fine powder may be employed on cheeks to achieve a porcelain appearance to the skin.

I hope this economic receipt may help you to save your money for items not so easily made at home, that must be purchased.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Annual Summer Fete

Saturday was the day we had all been looking forward to, our fete called us all from our homes very early indeed. The sky was overcast but t...